Week 3, Part 2: 5 Business Examples

In choosing the 5 businesses social media profiles to compare, I kept in mind the type of brand I am hoping to grow. I have been working on my clothing line for the last year and in that year have spent a lot of time not only on development and the physical aspect of the brand, but also how I want to be perceived by my target market and the vibe I’m going for. The 5 brands I chose to compare emulate the goal of my own brand:

The first 2 I looked at were: Vince and Joie. These two were chosen because they both have great, high quality, super soft basics and align closely with what my first collection will entail. Vince’s website is simply Vince.com and their social media profiles can be found under @Vince. Their last Instagram post was 3 hours ago, and they post very regularly (at least once a day-as do the other brands I’m comparing**). Vince’s feed is full of posts that are relevant to the brand, including inspiration pictures as well as current and upcoming products. Joie’s website is joie.com and their Instagram handle is @Joie. They last posted one hour ago and although their individual posts are nice, I feel like they could have a more streamlined overall aesthetic.

The next three brands were chosen because they are what I aspire to grow to with my brand due to the extremely high quality materials, timeless/classic pieces, and the fact that they’re globally known, fashion powerhouses. These three brands are: Givenchy, Saint Laurent, and Chloe. Saint Laurent’s website is saintlaurent.com while they shortened their Instagram name to @YSL. Their last post was 4 hours ago and they have a very aesthetically pleasing profile that looks very well thought out. Givenchy (Givenchy.com and @givenchyofficial) last posted 3 hours ago on instagram. Their feed is filled with a lot of celebrities dressed in their looks as well as current campaigns and ads. Chloe (Chloe.com and @Chloe) last posted one hour ago. They have a great aesthetic that closely follows the look of the brand!

So I mentioned some brands I love and use as examples and inspiration for my own brand, but there are also some things NOT to do, especially if you have an enormous global brand with a huge online presence and following. The most recent “incident” is regarding Gucci and their use of a sweater design that closely resembles blackface. I don’t need to get into why that in itself is not okay, but on a purely business level the designers/marketing team/development/etc needs to be aware of social issues and sensitivities. This sweater has many people now viewing Gucci as a racist or not racially sensitive company and there’s traction growing on social media sites with people wanting to boycott the brand because of it. IF I were to ever get into a situation like that, I would first and foremost apologize for the oversite and remove the offensive product from the collection and try to do major damage control as to not give the impression of my brand having beliefs that don’t align with my own.

Comments

  1. Hi Peyton,
    I am intrigued by your industry. I wish I was a fashionista but, I'm not though it was interesting to read your research and see it through your lens. There seems to be a social aspect to their posting on social media, lots of personal opinions embedded in the designs and marketing message. Good luck with your endeavors!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts